The University of Arizona

7.4. Can I take a graduate (500-level) class?

Math/SDS Majors and MinorsRegistration and transcriptsCan I take a graduate (500-level) class?


Students may request to register for 500-level courses if 
  • they are a Junior (at least 60 units earned) in the Honors College, or a Senior (at least 90 units earned), AND
  • they have at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA. 

To request enrollment, first fill out the Student Information portion of the Undergraduate Enrollment in Graduate Courses form. The form can be downloaded here. You can choose to earn Honors credit (if in the Honors College), undergraduate credit, or graduate credit. Note that graduate credit is unlikely to be useful for undergraduate students and will not count as units toward graduation. Speak with your Math Faculty Advisor or Academic Advisor if you are not sure what type of credit to request. 

Write in the course(s) to be taken and email the form to the Math Center: The Math Center will consult with your faculty advisor and instructors and contact you via email when we have an answer to your request. If approval is granted, we will help you obtain the necessary signatures. After the form is complete, we will return it to you so you can forward it to the Registrar's office at

Students should expect the process to take up to two weeks, possibly longer at busy times, so please plan ahead.



Knowledge Tags