The University of Arizona

4.2. I want to take a math course at another college to obtain UA credit and/or improve my UA math placement. What do I need to do?

Math Placement, Transfer Credit/Credit by Exam, PPL (Math Placement Test)MATH Credit by Exam & Transfer CreditsI want to take a math course at another college to obtain UA credit and/or improve my UA math placement. What do I need to do?


Before taking a Math course outside of UArizona, make sure it will transfer! 

  • Outside courses maybe approved for UA credit, and the UA credit may be usable for math placement. 
 STEP 1 Does your course automatically transfer?

   Check the articulation databases to see if your course automatically transfers to UArizona as a Math course.  

   If your math course is not listed in one of the above databases as having a UA equivalent, submit the Pre-Approval Form before taking the course to make sure it will transfer. See Step 2 below.


  • Beginning/Elementary/Introductory Algebra courses are non-credit review courses.
  • Intermediate algebra transfers as math elective credit and does not satisfy a UA math requirement.  

Submit an evaluation

(if your course doesn't automatically transfer)

   If you plan on taking a transfer Math course that is not listed in the databases above, you need to submit a pre-approval form.

  • Make sure you go to the transfer institution's website and find all math course descriptions before submitting the form.
    • We need the descriptions of ALL math courses, not just for the course that you want to take. 
  • For online courses: you must provide the course syllabus, course grading policy (how grades are calculated) and the exam proctoring policy through this evaluation form.

Send your official transcript to UA

(after course completion)

   Click here for information on sending your Official Transcript to the UA. It may take a few weeks to process. 

STEP 4 Registering for a UA Math course

   First, check if your transfer credit is in the UA system.

  • If it is not in the UA system, you can send an unofficial transcript to the Math Placement Office in order to update your math placement for registration.
    • The unofficial transcript must include your full name, the institution's name, term taken, course, and final grade.  
    • Check how transfer credit works here. 
STEP 5 How is credit awarded?  

   The Math Department does not determine the number of credits that transfer in from a particular institution. 

  • Quarter system units are converted to semester units by multiplying the units by 2/3.
  • Questions regarding this should be directed to the Office of the Registrar.